Goal 2: Use sourcing tools in Descendancy view.
Once you locate relatives in Descendancy view, you can provide sources for their records to validate and verify information.
A Use Descendancy view to find ancestors who do not yet have sources listed for their information.
Note: If you are not familiar with using Descendancy view, see Project 1, Goal 5, Choice C.
- Select an ancestor who was born between 1700 and 1900.
- Switch to Descendancy view in Family Tree.
- In the right side of the screen, look for a light-blue Record Hints icons. (If there are no light-blue icons, scroll down or choose a different ancestor line.)
- Click a light-blue icon.
- In the Record Hints dialog, to open the Review and Attach screen, click Show Details. Choice B below explains how to review and attach the record in your family tree.
- * Good: In descendancy view, find three ancesors who need records attached.
- * Proficient: In descendancy view, find 6 ancesors who need records attached.
B In Descendancy view, review and attach a source to your ancestor's Person page.
- Continuing from the steps above, scroll about halfway down the screen and click the ancestor's name (in blue).
- Review the information in the record dialog that appears, to verify your ancestor's information.
- Click View Image. You can make and save a copy of the screen image using the Windows Snipping Tool or other capture software. If the screen image is blank, it may be restricted from view here but available on another site.
- Close the dialog, and click Review and Attach. If the information does not match your ancestor, click Not a Match and return to Family Tree.
- If a blank image appeared for the record and you would like to try another site to view it, click Image.
- If you want to save this record for use with other ancestors, check Add Source to Source Box.
- Type a reason for attaching the source, and then click Attach.
- * Good: Review and attach one or more records, including reason statements, to the pages of 3 ancestors.
- * Proficient: Review and attach one or more records, including reason statements, to the pages of 6 ancestors. Include reason statements.