Goal 4: Use the RelativeFinder tool to see how you may descend from famous historical figures, or to create relative groups.
It may surprise you to learn that you may be related to a wide variety of noted people. The Relative Finder tool helps you see those relationships, based on data in your FamilySearch tree. You can also connect with other people who have common ancestral roots.
A Log in to RelativeFinder and find your famous ancestors.
- Go to RelativeFinder and click Login.
- Sign in to FamilySearch and agree to share your basic tree information so RelativeFinder can access (but not change) your family tree data.
- Watch this video for an overview of using RelativeFinder.
Relative Finder from RootsTech—5:56
- Click Relatives. You'll see a checklist of categories to search for.
- Make your selections, and then click Show Relatives. You'll see a table with the results (this example shows relationships to U.S. Presidents).
- If you want to save your results, click Export as CSV to save the file in a spreadsheet format.
- To view the relationship path from you to the ancestor you selected, in the rightmost column click View. A group of boxes appears, with the path highlighted between paternal and maternal lines back to the ancestor you selected.
- * Good: In Relative Finder, display relatives in two categories. Then select an ancestor form the list and view your relationship with him or her.
- * Proficient: Same as above, using four categories and viewing your relationships with five ancestors.
- Prework : Create a RelativeFinder group that the students can join. Have them log in to the group and look for common ancestors among class members.
B (Optional) Create a RelativeFinder group to invite others to see your family relationships.
- In RelativeFinder, in the top menu, click Groups and select Create.
- Fill out the fields on the screen, and click Create Group.
- Notify your friends (by email, social media, etc.) and invite them to join the group you created.
- To delete a group you created, a) Click Manage Groups, b) Click View for the group you created, c) Click Delete Group; and d) Click OK.
- * Good: Find and read one or more stories for at least three ancestors.
- * Proficient: Find and read one or more stories for at least 8 ancestors.